- last update date : 2021-08-31
Ear surgery in Turkey: procedure, candidates, recovery, and more
Having ears that stick out from your head more than the natural distance and degree or suffering from misshapen ears as a result of injury or birth defect might bother you and have a significant impact on your self-esteem. So, if you want to correct your ear's deformities and improve their appearance, you have no choice but to perform otoplasty. In this article, we'll discuss otoplasty definition, how it's performed, its candidates, otoplasty aftercare, and otoplasty cost in Turkey, among other things. Read on for more information.
Why do otoplasty in Turkey?
- Once you decide to perform ear surgery and move one further step to find the right place to have your surgery, you might feel confused when you see so many options during your research.
- However, we would like to save your time and suggest Turkey as a worthwhile place to start your life-changing surgery. But, Why otoplasty in Turkey? Turkey is known as one of the favorable global destinations for plastic surgery targeted by international patients from all around the world as it offers high-quality medical services at very affordable prices.
- If you live in the United States, the Gulf region, or Europe and are concerned about the expense of your surgery, picking Turkey will likely save you half or more of what you would spend for your surgery in your country.
- At the same time, you receive high-quality medical service that does not differ from other advanced countries thanks to Turkey's medical care development that is embodied by the latest medical equipment adoption and experienced Turkish doctors.
What is ear surgery?
Ear surgery is also known as otoplasty. It is performed to correct the shape, position, or size of the ears. Otoplasty is done surgically on the visible part of the outer ear under general or local anesthesia to adjust the structural abnormality or the protruding ears.
Some conditions must be available to be a good candidate for otoplasty:
- The patient should enjoy good health, bad health conditions might increase the risk of complications.
- Otoplasty for children: a child must be at least 5 years old to undergo otoplasty. At this age, ears typically reach their full size.
Why have an otoplasty?
Reasons to have otoplasty:
- If you have prominent ears that stick out clearly from your head, you should perform ear pinning surgery by which your ears are drawn close to your head.
- If you have macrotia, which is a condition where your ears are too large, you need ear reduction surgery. Otoplasty can reduce your ears to their natural size.
- Otoplasty can also be used to increase the size of the outer ear for those who have smaller ears than usual.
Any abnormal appearance on the outer ear can be corrected by ear surgery.
How is ear surgery done?
- Typically, local or general anesthesia is administered to the patient. However, general anesthesia is recommended for children in their youngest age.
- Generally, otoplasty includes first making an incision either on the back of the ear or inside its natural folds.
- Since there are different types of otoplasty, the doctor has to manipulate the ear in terms of shape, position, and size according to each patient's situation. Otoplasty may require cutting a part of cartilage or skin, adding tissue to the ear cartilage, or reshaping the cartilage.
How long does ear surgery take?
Typically otoplasty may take from 1 to 3 hours, which is based on the ear condition and complexity of the procedure. Each patient may have a specific situation that requires a certain surgical technique and type of otoplasty.
Ear surgery recovery
Is otoplasty painful, and does it leave a scar?
Most likely, you'll experience some discomfort following your otoplasty, but it will diminish if you take the pain medications that your doctor prescribes for you to take. Indeed, the incision that is required for otoplasty will leave a thin scar, but since it is made inside the outer ear or behind the ear, it will not be visible. Also, it will most likely fade away over time.
Is ear surgery safe?
Nowadays, ear surgery can be performed easily. However, like other plastic surgeries, otoplasty is associated with some side effects, such as bleeding, infection, numbness, bruising, and scarring.
Otoplasty: how long should you wear a headband?
Once your procedure is finished, you will wear bandages over your ears for around a week. During this period, keep them clean and dry. Moreover, when you remove the bandages, you will be required to wear a headband that covers your ears to keep them safe and prevent infection. It is recommended to wear this elastic headband for 4 to 6 weeks.
How much does ear surgery cost in Turkey?
The difference in otoplasty cost in Turkey is associated with the type of otoplasty. Generally, the most common ear surgery is the protruded ear treatment, which is performed primarily on children who have protruded ears due to congenital abnormalities. In Turkey, the average cost of an otoplasty is around 1500 €.