Ear Surgery in turkey
If you have protruded or misshapen ears due to a birth defect or injury and would like to correct their appearance, ear surgery or “otoplasty” may be an ideal option for you. Generally, ear surgery is a safe procedure that is done for children and adults, ensuring good results.
Otoplasty can reshape the structure of your ears, bring balance and proportion to the ears, and give a natural appearance.
What do you know about ear surgery?
Ear surgery is a cosmetic procedure that aims to improve ear appearance by correcting its shape, position, and proportion. It is performed under general or local anesthesia to treat the birth deformities or damaged structure of the ear.
Ear surgery is a powerful solution to macrotia; the medical condition in which the ear is overly large and protruding ears.
Who is the right candidate for ear surgery?
The right candidate for ear surgery:
- The appropriate candidate should be over 5 years old, making sure that his ears are grown and developed completely.
- The patient should be in good public health, does not suffer from certain diseases, which might hinder the operation.
- The right candidate should not have chronic ear infections.
- If the patient has protruded ears and would like to correct them.
- If the patient is dissatisfied with the ear shape and wants to improve its contour.
What are the pre-operative instructions for ear surgery?
The success of your operation depends also on how you prepare yourself for the operation. These are some important tips you should follow before the operation:
- You should stop smoking for two weeks before the operation to ensure fast healing.
- You should wear loose and comfortable clothing on the day of the surgery.
- You should avoid taking medicines, such as aspirin, ibuprofen combinations, anti-inflammatory, or Vitamin E, for 2 weeks before the operation.
- You should avoid sun damage two weeks prior to the operation.
- You should stop drinking alcohol or coffee for a week before the operation to avoid any risk of complications.
- You should not eat or drink on the night before the surgery.
How is ear surgery performed?
Typically, ear surgery takes 1 to 2 hours depending on the ear situation. The procedure involves the following steps:
- The patient might receive either local or general anesthesia. The doctor chooses the appropriate anesthesia for the patient, making sure he will sleep deeply during the operation.
- The surgeon makes a small incision behind the ear, which allows access to the cartilage of the ear, which is the main part of the ear.
- Next, in order to reshape the ear, the surgeon may cut a small piece of cartilage. In some cases, it may need no incision, the cartilage just is stitched and adjusted.
- Finally, the incision is closed with dissolvable stitches.
What are the post-operative instructions for ear surgery?
After the operation, you should follow some important tips which help you to heal quickly and maintain your results.
- You should wear a bandage or dressing to keep the area clean and protect it from trauma.
- You should take your medication which is prescribed by your doctor if you have some pain.
- You should avoid sunlight or tanning during the period of healing.
- Children can return to school after 1 to 2 weeks after the operation.
- You should give yourself 2 weeks before going back to your daily activity.
- You should wait 12 weeks before doing any strenuous activity, such as exercise.
- You should avoid swimming for 4 to 6 weeks after the operation.
- You should keep avoiding aspirin and any blood-thinner product which might lead to bleeding after the operation.