Recently, Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) has emerged as an effective treatment for hair loss, especially for people with early hair loss. Although (PRP) is not considered as powerful as a hair transplant which is a permanent solution for hair loss, it has a good potential to promote hair follicles growth again. Let's take a deeper look at (PRP) through this article.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injection
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) therapy is a medical treatment that can promote hair growth by injecting it into the scalp deeply to stimulate more blood flow to the hair follicles.
(PRP) is taken from the patient’s blood, and separated from the other blood cells by a centrifuge to be ready for injection.
(PRP) includes two main components; plasma and platelets. Plasma is a liquid part of the blood which makes up about 55% of the body's blood, consisting of mostly water and protein. Platelets are one of the blood cell types which enhance cell growth and regeneration and promote blood clot which helps wound healing.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) benefits
There are several benefits of PRP that can contribute to hair care:
- PRP can increase collagen production which helps reduce hair loss and strengthen the hair follicles.
- PRP may also feed your hair powerfully and increase the diameter of hairs.
- Platelet-Rich Plasma might promote the density of hair growth.
- PRP can enhance hair growth for people with androgenetic alopecia and alopecia areata.
- By receiving multiple PRP injections over time, you can maintain better results.
- PRP injections are highly recommended after hair transplant, as it supports the recovery process.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) candidates
People who suffer from hair loss, especially those in the early stages of hair loss can take the most advantage of PRP therapy. However, not everyone can be a good candidate for (PRP) treatments, including:
- People who suffer from Thrombocytopenia, or abnormal platelet function.
- Patients who have diabetes.
- People who have heart or blood diseases, such as anemia.
- People who suffer from immune system problems.
- People who have Cancer.
Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) stages
PRP treatment is a simple procedure, which can be done easily through the following stages:
- Firstly, you will be subjected to some medical examinations by which the doctor can make sure that you enjoy good health and are ready for the procedure.
- A sample of your blood will be drawn typically from your arm, then spun down in a machine called “centrifuge”. This machine can spin rapidly to separate blood components.
- Your blood will be separated in around 10 minutes inside the centrifuge, giving three basic layers; platelet-poor plasma, platelet-rich plasma, and red blood cells.
- Your PRP will be taken from the machine by a syringe and injected into the affected areas of your scalp.
- Usually, the treatment includes three sessions, about a month apart. However, to maintain the results, you need a session every 3 to 6 months.
Pre-(PRP) treatment instructions
Before going ahead with PRP injection, you have to consider some important instructions:
- You should stop taking blood-thinning medications, such as aspirin and ibuprofen at least 3 days before you get injected.
- You need to stay away from taking certain vitamins and supplements, such as omega-3 fatty acids a week before the treatment.
- You should avoid alcohol and smoking for 3 days before the injection.
- You are recommended to eat before PRP injection, which helps you feel fine when you receive your PRP injections.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water on the day before the procedure and the day of the procedure, to increase your hydration which helps you facilitate the blood drawing process.
Post-(PRP) treatment instructions
After your PRP treatment, you are recommended to follow those tips which will help you get the optimal results.
- Don’t take anti-inflammatory medicines, such as Ibuprofen for a week after your treatment.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol for 3 days after the procedure.
- You can wash your hair the day after you get your PRP injections.
- You can use hair coloring 3 days after your treatment.
- You are encouraged to have maintenance PRP treatment sessions every 4 to 6 months.
The cost of Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) in Turkey
- Turkey is considered one of the best countries when it comes to the cost of hair loss treatments, especially PRP therapy. Turkey offers very competitive prices in comparison with the USA, UK, and European couriers, maintaining the same quality which those countries provide.
- Generally, the cost of PRP varies from one center to another and is determined by several factors, such as the degree and pattern of the patient's hair loss and the number of treatment sessions that are required and desired for each patient.